The Illinois Wolves traveling basketball program was founded in 1999 by Mike Mullins with one grade school team. As that team advanced age groups and had great success the Wolves became an elite high school age team and added more teams at the high school level.
The Wolves staff is comprised of former or current high school & college coaches who are receiving no compensation which holds true to the present day. Since our inception the Wolves program has had almost 200 players in excess of $50 million in scholarships in 14 classes. This is a total from just 13 HS graduating classes which has seen players attend schools such as North Carolina, Stanford, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Marquette, Boston College, DePaul, Northern Iowa, Iowa, West Virginia, Butler, UW-Milwaukee, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Santa Clara, San Jose St, Pennsylvania, Rutgers, Belmont, Stetson, Wright St, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Illinois, Miami of Ohio, American, Lafayette, Loyola, Eastern Michigan, South Dakota, Lipscomb, Northern Illinois, Albany, Buffalo, Valpo, U of Illinois-Chicago, Wofford, Kansas State, Nebraska, Penn, William and Mary, Colorado State, UC-Davis, and Central Michigan at the D1 level.
Others have received full scholarships at the D2 level from schools such as Mercyhurst, Lewis University, St. Michael‘s, Lemoyne, Quincy, Hillsdale, UW Parkside, Southern Indiana, Northern Kentucky, Northern Michigan and Spring Hill among others.
While some received financial aid dollars from schools such as U of Chicago, Washington U, Augustana, Loras, Illinois Wesleyan and Carthage at the D3 level.
NAIA schools such as Oklahoma Baptist, Olivet Nazarene, William Penn, Cardinal Stritch and St. Xavier have also provided scholarship dollars as well.
Our players come from all backgrounds and from all parts of the state of Illinois.
We are proud to have Evan Turner be 2nd pick of NBA Draft as well as 34 of our players sign professional contracts overseas.
Wolves’ alums also have won a NCAA championship, a NIT title, and an NAIA title.
Wolves’ alums have won Gold Medals for USA Basketball at U16-U17 and U19 as well a Silver medal at U21.
We have been blessed to have a:
- NCAA National Player of the Year & 2nd overall pick of NBA Draft Evan Turner Ohio State University
- 2X All American and 2015 Big Ten POY & Big Ten Tourney MOP as well as 2015 NPOY Wisconsin C Frank Kaminsky
- NAIA National Player of the Year Ollie Bailey Oklahoma Baptist
- McDonald’s All American and NCAA National Champion Bobby Frasor University of North Carolina
- IHSA HOF and 2X Academic All American-2X MVC DPOY in Bryan Mullins of Southern Illinois University
- Sam Maniscalco Captain at Bradley University & University of Illinois. All MVC Academic and All MVC player
- 2X All Big Ten & Illinois Captain Demetri McCamey
- Illinois Mr. Basketball and USA 2 x Gold Medalist in All Pac 12 Stanford Chasson Randle from Rock Island HS.
- NU all-time leading scorer 2X All Big Ten & USA Gold Medalist John Shurna
The volunteers who donate their time and vacation hours to coaching the Wolves are irreplaceable. Illinois HS Hall of Fame coaches and players such as Carl Maniscalco and John Bryant who are still active in running the Wolves as well as past coaches such as Bob Frasor Sr, Ken Rice, Jeff Carpenter, & Marty Gaughan.
The Wolves have the best staff in travel ball. The current coaching staff is as follows:
U 17 coaches Carl Maniscalco and Ken Gryzwa
U16 David Kleinschmidt and Tony Jones
U15 Frank Kaminsky, John Bryant, and Dre McCamey
U14 Bill Baldridge and Kevin Muldowney
U13 Todd Koering
The players and their families who benefit from travel basketball and the forum for enhancement it provides are success stories that the Wolves organization is proud to be a small part of. We make a positive difference in young people’s lives.
Michael P. Mullins
Illinois Wolves Director